Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nice Surprises

Oh, holy WOW!!!

Good quasi-last day of my holiday!

Quasi-, because, first, I found out that I don’t actually have to go to work tomorrow like I thought I was going to have to do. Comp days rule; surprise comp days (because you were too stupid to read the calendar and know what the score was) are even better! Merry Christmas to me!

Secondly, several days ago Robert’s mom gave us a ticket to Santa Land out in Lindale. Now, I knew the tickets were $20 per car load, so I knew that it had to be at least somewhat impressive, but lemme tell ya, that place is amazing! The signs outside of it boast that there are more than two million lights used there. Having driven through it tonight, I can attest that there are easily that many, if not more. Simply stunning! I’ll be honest: considering that today was the last day before it closes for the season, I totally expected it to be all worn out with bulbs burned out and strings hanging wonky and such.

No such thing.

They were totally in tip-top shape and I can’t imagine that it would have been any more impressive on the season opener.

Now.

I know I’m going to burn in Hell for this, but the one thing I had to laugh a little tiny bit at was the “Religious Section” (their title, not mine). I didn’t laugh because of the content because, well, I don’t roll that way. I did laugh my butt off at the facial expression on Jesus’ face in the Last Supper tableau. I really don’t intend to be all uppity about other peoples’ art because I don’t know that I would have done any better…but I’d like to think that I might. He just looks…bemused. From a slightly different angle, he looks a little pissed. Either way, it made me laugh. Hopefully, lightning won’t strike me for finding amusement at a very earnest depiction of Jesus. Somehow, I think he’d think it was funny, too.

That’s my story, anyway.

That being said, I was absolutely blown away by the place and I can’t wait until next year to go again. Harrison loved it and has asked if we can go back every day, every single day, until he’s an old, old, old man. I told him we’d have to think about it but probably not since we can’t afford a $20 a day Christmas light addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment