Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Staggering Work of Genius

We met the neighbors last night at our neighborhood block party. Turns out, there’s a little boy, seven years old, living right across the street. I’ve seen him waiting for the bus in the mornings sometimes, but we’ve not ever spent any time with him or his family. (As it turns out, in a funny coincidence, I taught his oldest sister four years ago, but that’s another story for another day.)

Harrison spent plenty of time running and playing with his new friend last night and when he got up this morning at 7 am, the first thing he asked to do was go over and play with Josh. I told him it was too early, but what I would do instead was email Josh’s parents and set up a playdate for later in the day, which I did. (The playdate didn’t happen today, but that, again, is another story…)

While waiting for it to be not so early in the morning, Harrison asked if he could play on my computer. (Yet another aside: I love that my kid would rather play on Starfall or PBSKids than on the Wii these days.) He played on the SuperWhy website for a while, spelling words, reading and printing coloring sheets. When he accidentally printed two copies of one of the sheets, he said to me, “Mommy, here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to take this paper, walk out in the street, go over to Josh’s house and give this to him.”

“I am, huh? Why don’t you wait until you guys have your playdate and then give it to him yourself?”

“Mommy,” he said in amazement and unabashed admiration for my superior intellect, “that is an amazing idea.”

Well, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment