Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Funny Man

I introduced the boy to knock-knock jokes the other day. Man, does he enjoy a good knock-knock joke.

Actually, he enjoys bad knock-knock jokes just as much.

There’s really no accounting for taste.

I’m sitting with him, just hanging out and for whatever reason, a knock-knock pop-pops into my head. (Sorry, got carried away…) So I say to him, “Harrison, knock knock.”

He just looks at me.

“Knock knock.” I repeat.

Confusion shines out from beneath the near non-interest he’s exuding.

“You’re supposed to say, ‘Who’s there?’” I tell him.

“Who’s there?” he asks with not much more certainty.

“Orange.”

Stare.

Said in a stage whisper: “Orange, who?”

Still skeptical: “Orange, who?”

“Orange you glad I didn’t say banana?”

He thinks on it for a few seconds and decides it’s worthy of his laughter. By worthy of his laughter, I mean, he nearly falls off the couch laughing.

Snicker snicker. Laugh laugh. “Knock knock, mommy!”

Really? When did you learn a knock-knock joke? You just acted like I had sprouted a second head when I tried telling you one a few minutes ago. Ok, though—I’ll bite.

“Who’s there?”

“Banana!”

Ooooh, a Harrison crafted joke. This oughta be good.

“Banana, who?”

“Banana danna ranna manna!” Dissolves into a fit of giggles. Funniest thing ever. Through the madness, he gasps, “Your turn, mommy!”

“Ok, knock-knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Duane.”

“Duane, who?” By this point, he has stopped his hyena braying but he is poised, ready for his laugh cue.

“Duane the tub—I’m dwowning!”

I’m fairly sure he had no idea what that meant, but to hear him laughing at it, you’d think I had just uttered the funniest joke on the planet. Gales of laughter. Buckets of laughter. Dare I say, silly amounts of laughter.

He tells me another Harrison-knock-knock, something where everything rhymes and is more mirthful than a barrel of monkeys, and I realize I’ve pretty much blown through my entire repertoire of visitor jokes.

Dang. I’m going to have to study, now. There’s no way that he’ll find Duane and his oranges funny again!

[As a side note, I ran these jokes by him again at the supper table tonight and, indeed, he did find them just as droll and amusing as he had the first time around. I guess I’m off the hook for the immediate time being, but I had best be looking toward the future!]

No comments:

Post a Comment