Friday, July 10, 2009

I’ll take my crown, now…

I spent the better part of the day working on baked goods for Harrison’s birthday party tomorrow. I baked four dozen (!!!) cupcakes (or, as Harrison still calls them [for how much longer, I don’t know, but I imagine not terribly long], ‘pupcakes’) and his Transformers cake. I can’t quite emphasize how much my feet and back hurt from standing at the kitchen counter icing Optimus Prime. It’s really cool, though, if I do say so. I have documented it (of course) and posted the pictures at Flickr (and here, of course).

Optimus gets BakedOptimus Out Of the PanStep 1Step 2Step 3Step 4Step 5Step 6

A few things:

I totally owe my mom much gratitude because she made me several of these kinds of cakes when I was a kid. (Not Transformers, obviously—Wonder Woman and Raggedy Ann.) These take some serious hand muscles and I fear that I will be cramped up all day tomorrow. It’s worth it, though. :) Also, the eyes got kind of hosed up at the end, but I think I’m going to go back in tomorrow morning and re-pipe them. I’ve got plenty of frosting left over, so I think that will be quick and easy. Either way, I think the boy will be happy. He saw it when the light grey was half done and was very excited. He told me when he came home from school tonight and saw that I was working on the cake that I was his best friend. Now, I know that’s entirely because of the cake, but I’ll take it. :)

As badly as my feet and back hurt, my heart hurts even more. I had my last four year old kisses tonight from Harrison, which makes me cry a little. We read his On the Day You Were Born book, a tradition that I love. Tonight, as we were reading along and seeing “him” throughout the book, he would say, “There’s me when I’m three. Now here’s me four. Look, I’m five on this one.” and so on. He got up to thirteen and I just couldn’t handle it. My baby is gone and has been replaced by this wonderful little man. I am so blessed to have had these past five years. I can’t wait to see what he’ll do with the next five and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment