Saturday, November 28, 2009

With Teeth (Almost)

Oh, but teething sucks.

I remember this stage with Harrison. He would be so sad and miserable and there was nothing I could do for him except hold him and love him. I half jokingly said at the time that I was going to get out an X-Acto knife and cut the skin open so the teeth could go ahead and come through. I never actually did it, but I was sorely tempted.

And so now we’re back in the same place with Laura. She’s fine about half the time, but once the pain starts spiking up in her little gums, she gets fussy, miserable and downright unpleasant. She doesn’t want food, she doesn’t want milk and she darn well doesn’t want you to put that nasty Orajel crap in her mouth. Of course, as soon as you do and it takes effect, she calms down and the world goes back to near-normal.

I’m clinging to the remembrance that once Harrison had about four or five teeth actually in, he stopped fussing so much. I don’t know if at that point it just started to not hurt anymore, or if he was just used to the pain and didn’t notice it anymore. Either way, I’m just ready for my little girl to not be in so much pain all the time. I want her happy smile to return because, really and truly, she is such a joyful baby to be around when her gums aren’t being pierced.

This, too, shall pass.

Some day, it will be that the braces are hurting her gums. But I’d rather not think of that, just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment