Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Solstice!

I haven’t really thought about a Solstice since college, but I used to put lots of thought and energy into recognizing them, along with the cross-points of the Equinoxes. Alas, life and family take my mental energy these days and so I just don’t seem to have time to think about them anymore. Ironically, Robert has started watching the skies and so is more connected to what’s happening in the Universe than I am.

Funny how life works out like that.

Days will start getting longer now, which is always nice. The tug of Winter and Summer is always a bittersweet one for me. When it’s the middle of Summer here in East Texas, it’s hard not to wish it were cold and icy. Now in the middle of Winter, although we don’t have snow and really haven’t had any ice either, the biting chill we have from time to time always makes me wish for sunny skies. All in all, though, I try to enjoy whatever season I’m in. I try to embrace  the weather and all that it encompasses.

Off to bed now to rest up for a long day with Harrison tomorrow. He’s home with me this week and next and so far he’s been pretty good. I have to remind him occasionally that Santa is still in town at the mall and will be here probably through Wednesday at which time I will start texting him. He saw me pick up my phone tonight after he had not done what he was supposed to do and he freaked out. I feel kind of disingenuous using Santa to make him behave like this, but it seems to be working for the most part, so I guess we’ll call it somewhat-good and let it rest. Surely I’m not the first parent who has gotten through the end of the year this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment